A sheep project is particularly well adapted to the rural family home with a small plot of land or even to homes with large yards in suburban areas that permit animals. Market lamb projects are particularly desirable youth activities in many areas of New York State.
AUDIENCE: Youth 5 to 19 years of age.
The New York State 4-H Sheep Achievement Award Program provides goals and rewards specifically designed for young New York sheep project members.
All of the resources and curricula required to help 4-H members achieve their educational goals are found below.
- SID Sheep Production Handbook (Best single reference on sheep production in the world)
- Cornell Extension Sheep Page
- SID Youth Guide(Lessons for Youth, well-adapted to 4-H clubs)
- Maryland Small Ruminant On-line Quizzes
- Sheep Breeds
The most current SIDS material can be obtained directly through the American Sheep Industry Association, Inc. at 6911 South Yosemite Street, Centennial, Colorado, 80112. If you have any questions, please call: (303) 771-3500 extension 32, or you may email questions or comments to: email@example.com
- Patches and certificates corresponding to the various levels of achievement in the New York State 4-H Sheep Achievement Award Program.
- Many species topics are available. Here are the Sheep related titles:
- Sheep 1 Rams, Lambs & You
- Sheep 2 Shear Delight
- Sheep 3 Leading the Flock; Sheep 4 Helper’s Guide
- Your Sheep: A Kid’s Guide to Raising and Showing. 1993. by Paula Simmons and Darrell Salsbury, DVM. Storey Communications, Inc. Schoolhouse Road, Pownal, Vermont 05261. Current price $12.95.
- Ohio State Learning Lab Kits are now available for 4-H Educators to borrow from our resources page. They may also be purchased from the Ohio State website. or by contacting Communications and Technology Media Distribution (614) 292-1607.
Pamphlets are available from:
123 Morrison Hall
Animal Science Department
Ithaca, New York 14853
Contact: Dana Palmer