The NYS Horse Communications contest is an event for qualifying youth (decided at the Regional Level) to compete and show off communications and public speaking skills. The event is centered around the horse world, encompassing a wide variety of topics. Winners at the Senior Level will be invited to attend the Eastern National 4-H Horse Roundup in Louisville Kentucky. As this is a state level event, youth will be evaluated at a high level with constructive comments offered to help youth improve. The communications program offered by 4-H is one of the most beneficial programs, allowing youth to learn and practice public speaking skills that can be used in future.
- Please enter Morrison Hall by the East Morrison Hall parking lot entrance, which is easily accessible by the upper Morrison parking lot. Please look for signs.
- Put your things in Rm. 101 – holding room – please use the elevator at this end of the hallway as there are 2 different communications events taking place in the building this day.
- Register on the third floor – PLEASE be quiet as the contest will be in progress on the 3rd floor.
Schedules – will be posted on the appropriate contest room on the 3rd floor.
- Be familiar with the 2015 NYS 4-H Horse Communications rules. They will be used for this event.
- Contestants may introduce themselves. Room monitors will not be making introductions. Refer to rules.
- The top presenters will be invited to participate at the NYS 4-H Horse Communications Invitational at State Fair:
- For juniors and seniors:
- top five Individual Presenters
- top two Public Speakers
- top Team Presenters
- Bring your own lunch, drinks and refreshments. The Dairy Store will also be open.
- Bring your own equipment and props (easel, TV, DVD player, computer, video projector, etc.), these will not be supplied for you.
LODGING: A limited number of rooms were blocked at the Ramada Ithaca, 2310 N. Triphammer Rd, for the night of May 12, 2017 under Horse Communication. The rooms will only be available until April 15, 2017. After that date, they will be released to the general public.
EVENT MOTTO: Remember to do your very best, but “We are here to have FUN. If we do well besides, then we had more fun!”
If you have more questions, please contact:
NYS 4-H Horse Communications Chairperson