Horse projects of many kinds are available to New York youth through the Cornell Cooperative Extension Horse program. For more information, contact your county CCE office or the address at the end of this page.
Check out our new NYS 4H Horses FACEBOOK community and “like us” to join.
NYS 4-H Horse Events
- 4-H Animal Program Activities Calendar
- Horse Quiz Bowl
- Horse Judging Contest
- Horse Communications
- Hippology Contest
- Vet School Open House
- Career Explorations
- NYS Fair
Rules, References, Forms
- NYS 4-H Horse Education Advisory Committee
- Horse/Mule/Donkey Project/ID Forms
- NYS Fair Forms, Rules & Information
- NYS 4-H Equine Show Rule Book – covers all facets of 4-H showing.
- NYS 4-H Educational Events Rule Book – covers horsebowl, hippology, communication & judging.
- ENTRY FORMS: The forms pertaining to state fair events may be found on the NYS Fair Forms, Rules & Info page. All other entry forms may be found on the event pages to which they pertain.
- Riding & Driving Evaluation Forms – Before a youth may show an animal, they must be evaluated for competency (riding or driving) by a committee of 3 people that does not include their own parent (details of the committee and other details are specified on the individual forms).
- Equine Science, Basic Knowledge for Horse People of All Ages
- Horse Guts and Math
- Ride A Horse Not An Elevator
- Hippology Practice Exams
- Horse Bowl Practice Questions
- Horse Bowl Score Sheet
- Printable Horse Show Judges List – alphabetical listing
- West Nile Virus in Horses
- Educational Resources in Each CCE County Office
- Suggested “Kids and Horses” References
- AAEP Educational Pamphlet Series – The American Association of Equine Practitioners has produced this outstanding series of equine educational pamphlets.
- PREVENTION – A Young Person’s Guide to Keeping Animals Safe and Healthy. – From Ohio State College of Vet. Med.
- Creativity and Cloverbuds
- Positive Attitudes and Youth Horse Programs
- Communicating with Horse People
- NYS 4-H Resource Directory
Important Links to Equine Info
- Unwanted Horse Coalition
- Disaster Planning
- Equestrian Medical Safety Association
- eXtension – Horses
- American Youth Horse Council
- National 4-H Roundup
- National CCS Vet Science Curriculum
- USDA APHIS – Animal & Plant Health Inspection Service
- Maxwell H. Gluck Equine Research Center, University of Kentucky
- American Association of Equine Practitioners
- American Horse Council
- Cornell Veterinary College Diagnostic Laboratory
- New York State Horse Council
- The Electronic Zoo’s Horse Information Page
- Penn State Animal Science Program
- NYS Ag. Statistics Service – Equine (see “Special Surveys” sect)
- 2012 NY Equine Economic Impact Study
- NYS Ag. & Markets
- AQHA Junior Master Horseman
- American Farriers Journal