Meat goat breeding doe project – female goats (does) can be used for raising meat goat kids rather than (or as well as) for producing milk for humans. Just like a dairy goat they require suitable housing for over-wintering and kidding but they do not need milking. However, you must find a market for their slaughter kids every year. Meat goat does often graze on pastures from May through November but may need supplementary grain, especially when pregnant or nursing.
Meat goat market kid project – market kid projects are short term projects. Goat kids (usually castrated males) are purchased in the spring when they are old enough to be separated from their mothers (weaned). This occurs when they are about 10 to 12 weeks old. You can also raise a kid from birth from your own meat goat breeding doe. Either way, the goal is to do a good job of raising them through the summer until they are ready to slaughter somewhere between 50 and 100 pounds. Before you get a meat goat kid, you need to be sure you are willing to have it slaughtered despite how tame it gets. Check with your county about the age, weight, and vaccination rules they have for market kid projects and to find out if the kid must have had their horns removed and be a wether (castrated male).
AUDIENCE: Youth 5 to 19 years of age. Additional NY 4-H Goat Related Links
NYS Fair Meat Goat Knowledge Exams
Useful Resources for NY State 4-H meat goat projects:
- NY State 4-H Cloverbud Meat Goat Record Book – designed for Cloverbuds with either a market kid or a breeding doe project
- NY State 4-H 1st Year Meat Goat Record Book– designed for 4-Hers in their first year of a goat project, covers both market kid and breeding stock projects(revised July 2017)
- NY State 4-H Junior Record Book – designed for Junior 4-Hers 13 years old or younger as of Jan 1st of the current year, covers both market kid and breeding stock projects
- NY State 4-H Market Kid Record Book
- NY State 4-H Meat Goat Breeding Stock Doe Kid Record Book
- NY State 4-H Meat Goat Breeding Stock Dry Yearling Record Book
- NY State 4-H Meat Goat Doe Breeding Stock Adult Doe Record Book
- 4-H Skills for Life Meat Goat Activity Guides and Helper’s Guide – available through the www.4-h.org curriculum site.
- Estimating the Sustainability and Productivity of a Meat Goat Operation in NY Pastures
Goat Slide Shows
NY State 4-H Meat Goat Fact Sheets
- Why do I want to own a goat?
- The meat goat breeds
- Buying a meat goat
- Parts of the meat goat
- Facilities for your market wether
- Routine health care for your wether
- Goat Identification
- Hoof trimming
- All about castrating and urinary calculi
- Teeth and age of the goat
- Goat slaughter
- Feeds for goats
- The digestive system of the goat
- Vitamins and minerals for goats
- Using math to see how well your goat is growing
- Using math to make a feed ration for your goat – still in the works!!!
- Marketing meat kids – still in the works!!!
- Behavior of goats: part I – herd behavior
- Behavior of goats: part II – mating and maternal behavior
- Behavior of goats: part III – feeding behavior – still in the works!!!
- Getting your meat kid ready for a show
Contact: tatiana Stanton