This rapidly growing program is appropriate for all 4-H members from age 5 to 19 and from the inner city to the most remote rural areas. Cavies now have their own show and contests at the State Fair.
Recommended Readings: (check your local library)
- 4-H Cavy Project Leader Guide from Washington State University EM4664
- Cavy Resource Handbook: A 4-H Guide to Guinea Pigs
- Your Guinea Pig. A Kid’s Guide to Raising and Showing by Wanda L. Curran, A Storey Publishing Book, available directly from publisher or check your favorite book store.
- Diseases of Domestic Guinea Pigs, second edition by V.C.G. Richardson, Library of Veterinary Science. Distributor, Blackwell Science Inc., Commerce Place, 350 Main Street Malden, MA 02148 5018. Can be purchased at The Cornell Store or check your favorite bookstore.
- The Guinea Pig Handbook (Barron’s Pet Handbooks) by Sharon Vanderlip D.V.M. Check your favorite bookstore.
Here are more internet sources of useful cavy information, gathered by 4H leaders: